BOCA RATON— The Board of Governors elected Brian Lamb as the new chair and Eric Silagy as the new vice chair on Thursday for terms starting January 1, 2022, and ending December 31, 2023.
Brian Lamb is the global head of Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at JPMorgan Chase & Co. He is responsible for creating and executing a holistic internal and external strategy — further incorporating a diversity lens into how the firm develops products and services, serves clients, helps communities, and supports employees.
“I am humbled by the trust and confidence my fellow board members have placed in me today,” said Brian Lamb, chair-elect of the Board of Governors. “As a product of the State University System, first as a college student and later as a university board of trustee member, I am inspired by the transformational work of this Board that has generational impact. I look forward to working closely with the Board, our universities, Governor Ron DeSantis, and the Florida Legislature to build on the State University System’s strong momentum.”
Eric Silagy is president and CEO of Florida Power & Light Company (FPL), a subsidiary of NextEra Energy, Inc., and one of the largest investor-owned electric utilities in the nation. He was appointed president in December 2011 and CEO in May 2014.
“Listening and engaging with our business community and industry partners is key to moving the needle towards our State’s goal of being a top ten global economy by 2030,” said Eric Silagy, vice chair-elect. “It is an incredible honor to be selected by my colleagues, and I will work to ensure the continued success of our students, the System, and the State.”
In January, Mr. Lamb and Mr. Silagy will begin their terms as chair and vice chair when the Board recognizes outgoing Chair Syd Kitson for his service. Under Kitson’s leadership, Florida has maintained its U.S. News & World Report ranking as the no. 1 state for higher education and advanced many important initiatives around student success, pillars of excellence, and workforce alignment.
In other meeting highlights the Board:
- Recognized Dr. William Hudson, Jr. from Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University, as the Norman D. Tripp Excellence in Supporting Student Success Award recipient.
- Confirmed the reappointment of Dr. Larry Robinson as the president of Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University, Dr. John Kelly as the president of Florida Atlantic University, and Dr. Martha Saunders as the president of the University of West Florida.
- Approved the 2021-2022 University Fixed Capital Outlay Budgets.
- Approved changes to three performance-based funding metrics.
- Approved university 2021-2022 Carryforward Spending Plans
- Approved a Ph.D. in Neuroscience at Florida Atlantic University and a Ph.D. in Kinesiology at the University of Central Florida.
For more information, consult the meeting’s official minutes at http://www.flbog.edu/. The Board’s next meeting is January 25-26, 2022, at Florida State University in Tallahassee.
Facts about the State University System of Florida and the Board of Governors
The State University System of Florida is a constitutional body led by the 17-member Board of Governors. The System has 12 universities and more than 420,000 students, making it the second-largest public university system in the nation. Responsibilities include defining the distinctive mission of each institution and managing the System’s coordination and operation. The Board appoints a Chancellor who serves as the System’s chief executive. For more, visit flbog.edu or follow us on Facebook and Twitter.