In recent years, there has been increased emphasis on the identification and assessment of core student learning outcomes in higher education. The Florida Board of Governors has articulated the importance of student achievement in its strategic planning and accountability processes. Simultaneously, the Board has placed more emphasis on the devolution of authority to the universities, campus-level decision making, and institutional accountability.
Research indicates that university students are served best when students and faculty fully engage in a teaching-learning partnership. This partnership is all the more meaningful if students are made aware of what they will learn and how learning will be assessed. Therefore, “Academic Learning Compacts” have been developed for each of the baccalaureate degree programs in the State University System. These Academic Learning Compacts, or ALCs, identify the core content/discipline knowledge and skills, communication skills, and critical thinking skills students will acquire upon successfully completing the program. Additionally, faculty have identified examples of how students’ progress in attaining these skills and knowledge will be assessed in a given program.
In conjunction with other program materials (e.g., university catalogs), the ALCs provide valuable references and roadmaps for students in choosing, planning, and implementing their programs of study. A student should refer to the ALC for a chosen program often and use it as a guide for understanding the degree requirements, for relating learning activities to expected outcomes, and for monitoring one’s own progress toward graduation.
Links to University Academic Learning Compacts:
- Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University arrow_forward
- Florida Atlantic University arrow_forward
- Florida Gulf Coast University arrow_forward
- Florida International University arrow_forward
- Florida Polytechnic University arrow_forward
- Florida State University arrow_forward
- New College of Florida arrow_forward
- University of Central Florida arrow_forward
- University of Florida arrow_forward
- University of North Florida arrow_forward
- University of South Florida arrow_forward
- University of West Florida arrow_forward