The Board of Governors Office of Information Technology and Security (ITS) is currently seeking a Data Base Consultant, which will serve as an Assistant Oracle Database Administrator. This is a technical position that is responsible for the availability and reliability of the agency’s Oracle database instances.
Using their expertise with Oracle databases, Linux/Unix operating systems, and SQL programming language, the employee must be productive under tight timeframes, balance multiple and competing priorities, and maintain goal-directed behavior and performance, sometimes under stressful conditions. The employee must interact courteously with others. The employee’s performance and behavior must demonstrate consideration of the workload concerns of others and must not negatively affect productivity and morale of the unit.
Attendance is an essential job function.
This position is located in Tallahassee, Florida.
- Monitors and coordinates the operational database environment for data integrity and efficiency.
- Monitors data base performance and recommends efficiency improvements.
- Monitors and maintains Oracle HTTP Server and select Oracle Fusion Middleware components, including WebLogic Server.
- Applies Critical Patch Updates and version upgrades to the Oracle Database environments.
- Assists Board Office developers with database design and maintenance, including recommendations for and implementation of purge criteria, and suggesting more efficient or effective ways of returning database results.
- Resolves Service Desk requests and trouble tickets, including promoting objects and/or data to the User Acceptance Testing (UAT)/Beta and Production environments, troubleshooting system availability problems, creating new database accounts, and other requests as assigned.
- Coordinates, analyzes, designs and implements database structures.
- Determines and implements standards for database security.
- Maintains database access and update procedures.
- Determines database storage requirements.
- Assists Senior Database Administrator in all aspects of database administration.
- Performs related work as required.
- Bachelors, work experience can be substituted for a degree.
- AA we require more than 8 years of relevant work experience.
- High school diploma we require at least 10 years of relevant work experience.
- Oracle certifications can also be used in lieu of work and education experience. Entry level certifications will be awarded 1 year of credit.
- Advanced Oracle certifications will be awarded 2 years of credit.
- Proficient in Oracle SQL/PLSQL
- Knowledgeable of Oracle databases – 19c and above in a Linux/Unix environment.
- Minimum 2 years hands-on direct experience managing Oracle Database at the system level.
- If not DBA Certified then shall obtain Oracle System DBA certification within 3 years of employment. Training time and materials will be provided.
- Broad knowledge of data administration principles, practices, and methods.
- Knowledge of database technology and its application to large research data sets.
- Knowledge of Linux/Unix system commands and concepts.
- Ability to process information logically.
- Critical thinking skills.
- Ability to develop short-range and long-range database storage/growth estimates.
- Ability to plan, organize, and coordinate work assignments.
- Ability to communicate technical information effectively.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with a diverse customer base to meet organizational data requirements.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Willingness to learn and stay current with industry standards.
- Bachelors degree in Computer Sciences, Information Technology, or related area of study, plus:
- Five or more years of experience managing Oracle Enterprise RDBMS version 12c, 19c, or above in a Linux/Unix environment
- Five or more years of experience monitoring Oracle performance metrics
- Five or more years of experience working with Red Hat Linux command line syntax and crontab files
- Five or more years of experience using Oracle SQL/PLSQL
Additional experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
How to Apply
Submit cover letter; resume; and State of Florida application. This position requires pre-employment background screening. Applicants selected for interviews may be required to submit additional information.
Salary range $60,000 – $75,000, based on qualifications and experience.
If you have a desire to serve the people of Florida and work in the number one higher education system in the country, a career with the Board of Governors will allow you to do so while offering an excellent array of benefits, including:
- Health insurance (over 80% employer paid)
- Basic life insurance policy (100% employer paid)
- Dental, vision and supplemental insurance options
- First-rate retirement program
- Vacation and sick leave
- Nine paid holidays
- Opportunities for professional growth and career advancement
- Tuition waiver for public college courses
- Training opportunities
- Flexible work schedules
This position requires pre-employment background screening that includes fingerprinting.
As one of the nation’s largest university systems, the State University System of Florida is comprised of 12 institutions— ranging from a nationally-ranked liberal arts college to top-ranked comprehensive research universities—serving more than 350,000 students. The Florida Board of Governors is the constitutionally created body that oversees the System, ensuring its well-planned coordination and operation. The 17-member Board appoints a Chancellor who serves as the chief executive officer of the System, providing guidance to the Board and oversight of the Board Office, which is located in Tallahassee, Florida. The Board of Governors Office: Is an EEO/AA Employer | Does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace | Only hires U.S. citizens and lawfully authorized alien workers. | Contact us if you require an accommodation to participate in the selection process.
Human Resources and Administrative Services
Board of Governors
200 West College Avenue, Suite 201
Tallahassee, Fl 32301