The employee must be productive under tight timeframes, balance multiple and competing priorities, and maintain goal-directed behavior and performance sometimes under stressful conditions. The employee must interact courteously with others. The employee’s performance and behavior must demonstrate consideration of the workload concerns of others and must not negatively affect productivity and morale of the unit. Attendance is an essential job function.
This position is responsible for the availability and reliability of the Oracle Database instances. Using their expertise with Oracle databases and SQL programming language the incumbent will work with developers to maintain and enhance standards and procedures for the Board’s Oracle Database systems. This will include making recommendations related to the improvement in the code creation process and the library of procedures in order to ensure the quality and integrity of SUS databases. This position is responsible for confidential data, including data used for office and system budgets and personnel.
Responsibilities, duties, and activities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Applies Critical Patch Updates and version upgrades to the Oracle Database environments.
- Monitors and maintains Oracle HTTP Server and selects Oracle Fusion Middleware components.
- Aids Board Office developers by suggesting more efficient or effective ways of returning database results.
- Aids developers in database design.
- Resolves Service Desk requests and trouble tickets, including promoting objects and/or data to UAT and Production environments, troubleshooting system availability problems, creating new database user ID’s, and other requests as assigned.
- Aids developers with database maintenance, including recommendations for and implementation of purge criteria.
- Coordinates, analyzes, designs and implements database structures.
- Determines and implements standards for database security.
- Monitors and coordinates the operational database environment for data integrity and efficiency.
- Monitors database performance and recommends efficiency improvements.
- Maintains database access and update procedures.
- Determines data base storage requirements.
- Performs related work as required.
- Bachelors, work experience can be substituted for a degree. AA we require more than 5 years of relevant work experience. High school diploma we require at least 8 years of relevant work experience. Oracle certifications can also be used in lieu of work and education experience. Entry-level certifications will be awarded 1 year of credit. Advanced Oracle certifications will be awarded 2 years of credit.
- Proficient in Oracle SQL/PLSQL
- Knowledgeable of Oracle databases – 20c and above in a Linux/Unix environment.
- Minimum 2 years hands-on direct experience managing Oracle Database at the system level.
- If not DBA Certified then shall obtain Oracle System DBA certification within 3 years of employment. Training time and materials will be provided.
- Broad knowledge of data administration principles, practices, and methods.
- Working knowledge of database technology and its application to large research data sets.
- Working knowledge of Linux/Unix system commands.
- Ability to organize and coordinate diverse groups of stakeholders to develop policies and procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with a diverse customer base to meet organizational data requirements.
- Good skills in database administration software including Toad for Oracle and SQL Developer, and office productivity software including MS Word and MS Excel. Critical thinking skills.
How to Apply:
Submit cover letter; resume; and State of Florida application. This position requires pre-employment background screening. Applicants selected for interviews may be required to submit additional information.
Salary range $60,000 – $70,000, based on qualifications and experience.
If you have a desire to serve the people of Florida and work in the number one higher education system in the country, a career with the Board of Governors will allow you to do so while offering an excellent array of benefits, including:
- Health insurance (over 80% employer paid)
- Basic life insurance policy (100% employer paid)
- Dental, vision and supplemental insurance options
- First-rate retirement program
- Vacation and sick leave
- Nine paid holidays
- Opportunities for professional growth and career advancement
- Tuition waiver for public college courses
- Training opportunities
- Flexible work schedules
This position requires pre-employment background screening that includes fingerprinting.
As one of the nation’s largest university systems, the State University System of Florida is comprised of 12 institutions— ranging from a nationally-ranked liberal arts college to top-ranked comprehensive research universities—serving more than 350,000 students. The Florida Board of Governors is the constitutionally created body that oversees the System, ensuring its well-planned coordination and operation. The 17-member Board appoints a Chancellor who serves as the chief executive officer of the System, providing guidance to the Board and oversight of the Board Office, which is located in Tallahassee, Florida. The Board of Governors Office: Is an EEO/AA Employer | Does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace | Only hires U.S. citizens and lawfully authorized alien workers. | Contact us if you require an accommodation to participate in the selection process.
Human Resources and Administrative Services
Board of Governors
325 West Gaines Street, Suite 1626
Tallahassee, Fl 32399-0400