UF Online https://ufonline.ufl.edu/ was created by the 2013 Legislature as an institute for online learning at a preeminent state research university to provide for “high quality, fully online baccalaureate degree programs at an affordable cost.” An Advisory Board was established to support its development and guide the implementation of its original business plan. Since its 2013 enabling legislation, UF Online has experienced strategic development and expansion and now offers 20 full online bachelor’s degrees and 36 pathways to earn the degrees. Each online student has a dedicated advisor to ensure flexible, custom pathways and the learning pathways are nested in the “UF Plaza,” a student virtual campus, with campus-based support and out-reaching connections programs for all students.
In October 2018, the UF Online Advisory Board approved a Business Plan for 2019-2024. UF Online is now expanding its emphasis on STEM degree programs and is also responding to an emerging national trend for employers to add educational benefits to employee compensation and is partnering with national corporations to provide online undergraduate degree programs for the corporation’s employees. In the coming years, program priorities will include: expanding degree programs to meet workforce needs, enhancing academic and student support services, investing in and empowering exemplary faculty, expanding the employer pathway program, and maintaining relentless cost containment in all areas.
UF Online Advisory Board:
Dr. John Watret, Chair
Mr. Ernest Friend
Instructional Program Manager
Florida State College at Jacksonville
Mr. Kent Stermon
Chief Operating Officer
Total Military Management, Inc.
Executive Director of the Advisory Board:
Dr. Nancy McKee
Associate Vice Chancellor, Board of Governors
Ms. Evangeline Cummings
Assistant Provost & Director, UF Online
Annual and Status Reports:
- 2017-18 Annual Report
- 2016-17 Annual Report
- 2015-16 Annual Report
- 2014-15 Annual Report
- 2013-14 Annual Report
- December 2013 Progress Report
- To Be Determined
- March 26, 2020 – 3:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m., or upon adjournment. Conference Call. Dial-in 1-888-585-9008, then 305-002-533#. Agenda Materials
- December 18, 2019 – 2:00 – 2:30 p.m., or upon adjournment. Conference Call. Dial-in 1-888-585-9008, then 305-002-533#. Agenda materials
- October 17, 2019 – 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m., or upon adjournment. Emerson Alumni Hall, Warrington Room, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL. Agenda Packet
- April 17, 2019 – 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. or upon adjournment – Conference Call. Dial-in 1-888-585-9008, then 305-002-533 #. Agenda Materials
- October 17, 2018 – 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. (or upon adjournment). Warrington Room, Emerson Alumni Hall, University of Florida, Gainesville, Fl. Agenda Materials
- April 4, 2018 – 10:00 a.m. to noon – Conference Call. Dial-in 1-888-670-3525; Passcode 144 275 1317 # Agenda Materials; Supplemental Information
- October 17, 2017 – 10:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. or upon adjournment. Warrington Room, Emerson Alumni Hall, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL. Agenda Materials, Supplemental Materials: Annual Report , STEM , Highlights and Annual Report with technical edits.
- April 26, 2017 – 8:30 a.m. -10:00 a.m. Conference Call. Dial-in 1-888-670-3525; Passcode 144 275 1317 #. Agenda Materials
- October 13, 2016 – 10:00 a.m.- 3:00 p.m. or upon adjournment. Room 226, University of Florida Tigert Hall, Gainesville, FL. Agenda Materials; Supplemental Agenda Materials
- April 7, 2016 – 9:00 – 10:00 a.m. Conference call. Agenda Materials, Handout
- November 30, 2015 – 10:30 a.m. Conference call.
- September 2, 2015 – 2:15 – 3:45 or upon adjournment. Advisory Board meeting in Room 207, University of Florida Emerson Alumni Center, Gainesville, FL. Agenda Materials
- May 11, 2015 – 3:00 – 4:30 p.m. or upon adjournment. Conference Call. Agenda Materials
- November 20, 2014, in 226 Tigert Hall, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL Agenda materials and Presentation
- June 5, 2014 – 9:30 a.m. Advisory Board Conference call. Agenda Materials
- April 30, 2014 – 10:30 a.m. Advisory Board meeting in 239 Tigert Hall, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL. Agenda Materials and Presentation, which includes the three videos below:
- January 24, 2014 – 10:00 a.m. Conference call. Agenda Materials
- December 13, 2013 – 10:30 a.m. Agenda Materials
- September 16, 2013 – 10:00 a.m. Conference call. Dial in: 1-888-670-3525, Passcode: 144 275 1317 #.
Agenda Materials; Revised pages 81-85 of the agenda packet
- September 3, 2013 – 2:00 p.m. Conference call.
- August 23, 2013 – 10:30 a.m. Advisory Board meeting in 226 Tigert Hall, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL. (revised) Agenda Materials
- August 23, 2013 – 9:00 a.m. Advisory Board members’ tour of two University of Florida production labs.
- August 7, 2013 – 9:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. Conference call.
UF Online: History
The 2013 Legislature passed, and the Governor approved, CS/CS/SB 1076, codified as Chapter 2013-27, Laws of Florida, which created the preeminent state research universities program in section 1001.7065, Florida Statutes.
The law specified that a university that met all 12 of the academic and research excellence standards, as verified by the Board of Governors, was to establish an institute for online learning. The institute was to “establish a robust offering of high-quality, fully online baccalaureate degree programs at an affordable cost…” The Board of Governors verified at its meeting on June 10, 2013, that the University of Florida was the only institution that met all 12 standards.
The law required the Board of Governors to convene an advisory board to offer advice to the university in its development and implementation of a business plan for the institute; to advise the Board on the release of funding for the plan; and to monitor, evaluate, and report on the implementation of the plan to the Board, the Governor, the President of the Senate, and the Speaker of the House of Representatives.
By September 1, 2013, the designated university was to submit the comprehensive plan to expand fully online baccalaureate programs to the advisory board. Upon recommendation of the plan by the advisory board and approval by the Board of Governors, the Board of Governors was directed to award the university $10 million in nonrecurring funds and $5 million in recurring funds for fiscal year 2013-2014 and $5 million thereafter, subject to appropriation in the General Appropriations Act (GAA). The 2013-2014 GAA included, within the university’s lump sum appropriation, $15 million designated for this purpose.
During its meeting on September 16, 2013, the Advisory Board unanimously agreed to recommend to the Board of Governors that it approve the comprehensive business plan submitted by the University of Florida for UF Online. The Board of Governors took the recommendation into consideration during its review of the plan on September 27, 2013, and approved it as submitted. The Advisory Board approved three nonmaterial amendments to the comprehensive plan at its meeting on October 13, 2016.
In October 2018, the Advisory Board approved the Business Plan for 2019-2024.