Director of Communications
PRESS RELEASE: Board of Governors chairman appoints chancellor search committee
TALLAHASSEE—Board of Governors Chairman Dean Colson today appointed the board member search committee that will select a new chancellor of the State University System.
- Mori Hosseini, vice chairman of the Board of Governors, will chair the committee. Hosseini, of Daytona Beach, is chairman and CEO of Intervest Construction, Inc.
- Tom Kuntz , chairman of the board’s Budget and Finance Committee, will serve as vice chairman of the chancellor search committee. Kuntz, of Winter Park, most recently served as president and CEO of Suntrust Bank, Florida.
- Elizabeth Webster , of Miramar, is regional vice president of health services for Arcadian Health Plan.
- Wayne Huizenga, Jr , of Fort Lauderdale, is president of Huizenga Holdings, Inc.
- Patricia Frost , of Miami, is a retired teacher, principal and member of the Florida International University Board of Trustees. She is the former chair of the Smithsonian National Board.
- Manoj Chopra , of Orlando, is chairman of Florida’s Advisory Council of Faculty Senates and an engineering professor at the University of Central Florida.
- Ned Lautenbach , of Naples, is a retired partner from Clayton, Dubilier & Rice and former senior executive with IBM.
The committee will determine the procedure and timeline for replacing Frank T. Brogan, who departs from Florida at the end of September to serve as chancellor of Pennsylvania’s higher education system. The committee will also identify opportunities to collect input from external stakeholders throughout the search process. In the interim, the board’s vice chancellor and chief academic officer, Jan Ignash, will serve as chancellor.
“Choosing a chancellor of our State University System is among the greatest responsibilities of this Board of Governors,” Colson said. “I have complete confidence that this talented group will help the board identify another talented leader who understands our issues and will help us maintain our forward momentum toward national excellence.”
“Higher education is making an impact on this state like never before. We need a dynamic leader who will help us maintain that foothold and move even higher,” Hosseini said. “As we begin to tackle important issues such as performance-based funding, online learning and alignment of statewide strategic planning, we need someone who is passionate, diplomatic and hard-working. We’re excited to find that perfect fit.”
Updates regarding the chancellor search, including the application process, will be added to the board website ( www.flbog.edu ) as available.
# # #
Facts about the State University System of Florida and the Board of Governors
The State University System of Florida is a constitutional body led by the 17-member Board of Governors. The system has 12 universities and more than 335,000 students, making it the second-largest public university system in the nation. Responsibilities include defining the distinctive mission of each institution and managing the system’s coordination and operation. The Board appoints a Chancellor who serves as the system’s chief executive. For more, visit www.flbog.edu.