Executive Director of Communications
Board of Governors/State University System side-by-sides for Governor's proposed budget, FY 2012-13
Attached are the Board of Governors’ side-by-side comparisons for (1.) university operating budgets, (2.) fixed capital outlay/PECO and (3.) the Board of Governors’ general office budget. A few highlights in these different areas are below.
Universities’ Operating Budgets:
• Overall, university state appropriations for next year are held flat – no base budget reductions.
• No base tuition increase.
• $1.9M in state funding for continued planned phase-in of the UCF and FIU medical schools with $6.5M in tuition budget authority (this was included in the Board of Governors’ LBR).
• $3.3M for the FSU National High Magnetic Field Lab in preparation for the federal renewal process (this was included in the Board of Governors’ LBR).
• $7.5M for Plant Operations & Maintenance (this was included in the Board of Governors’ LBR) – this is routine expense category, such as utility bills, waste management, and other costs.
• $20M for increases in the universities/employer portion of contributions to the Florida Retirement System (pension fund).
• $18.8M to replace non-recurring appropriations received in FY 2011-12. (This is the net resulting amount that corresponds to the System having what would be considered a “level” base operating funding between the Governor’s proposed budget as compared to the current fiscal year.)
Fixed Capital Outlay/PECO:
• No PECO funds – so no cash and no bonds. (The Board’s LBR requested $22M in cash/non-bonded projects for deferred maintenance, and $122M in bonded projects for new construction and major renovations of existing facilities.)
Board of Governors’ Office:
• 5 positions are eliminated from the Board’s total FTE/full-time equivalent staff of 52 in Tallahassee.
• $207,254 in salary funds and general operating expenses are eliminated.