Executive Director of Communications
NEWS BRIEF: Board of Governors Chair Ava L. Parker on statewide 'Florida Face to Face' TV program
MEDIA ADVISORY / NEWS BRIEF: July 13, 2011
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
FLORIDA BOARD OF GOVERNORS CHAIR AVA L. PARKER
IS THIS WEEK’S GUEST ON STATEWIDE
‘FLORIDA FACE TO FACE’ TV PROGRAM
TALLAHASSEE, Fla.—Ava L. Parker, an attorney from Jacksonville and Chair of the Board of Governors for the State University System of Florida, is this week’s guest on “Florida Face to Face,” taped today at The Florida Channel with host Beth Switzer and airing statewide on partner public broadcasting stations.
(ED’S: Please see the chart below for insertion on local market carriage, and specific airtimes during the next seven days starting tomorrow – Thursday, July 14.)
Among other items, Chair Parker discusses:
- growth and capacity issues in the State University System, which is currently at more than 320,000 students amid 11 institutions;
- the important policies under consideration this year in order to ensure access to the state’s public universities for both current and future students, one of the Board of Governors’ top priorities;
- the Board of Governors’ “New Florida Initiative,” a project in partnership with the Legislature, one which has resulted in extensive economic development and helped play a part in recruiting jobs and companies to the state;
- the past, current and future fiscal challenges that the Board of Governors is working on; and
- the outlook for organizing the State University System, to assure stakeholders and Florida’s citizens that there is no unwarranted duplication of programs and services.
Chair Parker’s two-year leadership term concludes at the end of this year. She has served on the Board of Governors since its formation, when the state’s voters amended the Florida Constitution in 2002 to establish a statewide system of governance for all Florida public universities. Chair Parker earned her undergraduate and law degrees from the University of Florida, and she formerly served as a member of the Board of Trustees at the University of Central Florida.
The State University System is comprised of 11 institutions with a total enrollment of more than 320,000 students, making it the fourth-largest public university system in the nation in terms of student enrollment (some states have more than one public university system). The Board of Governors’ obligations and responsibilities include defining the distinctive mission of each institution as well as ensuring the well-planned coordination and operation of the System. The Board is comprised of 17 appointed members – 14 are appointed by the Governor while three are members by virtue of their designations (a faculty member, a Florida Student Association student representative, and the Florida Commissioner of Education). The Board of Governors appoints a Chancellor, currently Frank T. Brogan, who serves as the chief executive and administrative officer of the State University System.
For more about the State University System, and to see the Board of Governors’ 2010 Annual Report referenced in the television interview, see www.flbog.edu.
For more about The Florida Channel and to see the archive of guests on “Florida Face to Face,” see www.thefloridachannel.org.
Statewide Carriage - *ALL AIR TIMES ARE LOCAL*
Florida Face To Face also can be seen on The Florida Channel at 6:30 a.m. & 6:30 p.m. daily (Eastern Time).
City Station Date Time
Cocoa WBCC - Channel 68
Sunday, July 17
Fort Myers WGCU - Channel 30
Sunday, July 17 11:00 am
Jacksonville WJCT - Channel 7
Tuesday, July 19 2:00 pm
Miami WLRN - Channel 17
Sunday, July 17 12:00 pm
Panama City WFSG - Channel 56
Thursday July 14
Sunday, July 17 7:30 pm
Pensacola WSRE - Channel 23
Sunday, July 10 11:30 am
Tallahassee WFSU - Channel 11
Thursday, July 14
Sunday, July 17
Tampa WEDU - Channel 3
Sunday, July 17 11:30 am
Tampa WUSF - Channel 16
Sunday, July 17