Innovation and Online
Online Education in the State University System of Florida
In November 2015, the Board of Governors approved the SUS 2025 Strategic Plan for Online Education, which was a culmination of work focusing on online education since 2012. The Plan has now moved into the implementation phase. A Steering Committee of university provosts, chaired by Provost Joe Glover, University of Florida, is providing oversight to the Implementation Committee, chaired by Dr. Joyce Elam, Interim Vice Provost, Analysis and Information Management, at Florida International University.
The 2012 Legislature provided funds to the Board of Governors to obtain the services of a consulting firm that would study online education in Florida. A contract was awarded to The Parthenon Group; its report, Postsecondary Online Expansion in Florida, its Detailed Fact Base were submitted to the Board Office on November 16, 2012. The study resulted in the legislative creation of UF Online and the Board's creation of a task force, the Task Force on Postsecondary Online Education in Florida that, in December 2013, recommended in its final report ways in which services and online degree programs could be better coordinated to ensure state and student needs were met in a cost-efficient and effective manner.
In January 2014, the Board established as a standing committee its Innovation and Online Committee, and charged it with "investigating policies and best practices for transformative and innovative approaches to the delivery of higher education," including, but not limited to, online education. In addition to exploring and moving forward with recommendations of the Task Force and ensuring the implementation of programs created by the Florida Legislature (Complete Florida, Complete Florida Plus, otherwise known as the Florida Virtual Campus, and UF Online), the Committee directed the selection of a common, opt-in learning management system that would be available for use by institutions in the SUS, as well as those institutions in the Florida College System that were interested in participating. Through a competitive procurement process, Canvas by Instructure was selected as the common, opt-in LMS.
The Board's Innovation and Online Committee also directed the creation of a task force to develop for its consideration a strategic plan for online education. The Task Force for Strategic Planning for Online Education, chaired by President John Hitt, University of Central Florida, presented its proposed plan to the Committee in November 2015. The Plan was approved by the Committee and by the full Board.
Implementation of the SUS 2025 Strategic Plan for Online Education
Membership of Committees and Workgroups
- Steering Committee and Implementation Committee
- Quality Workgroup
- Data Workgroup
- Online Programs Workgroup
- Professional Development Workgroup
- Affordability Workgroup
- Infrastructure Workgroups
- Student Services Workgroup
- Select Workgroup on Board of Governors Regulations
- November 2, 2016 – Implementation Committee – Florida Atlantic University. Details to be posted prior to meeting.
- June 21, 2016 - Joint meeting of the Steering and Implementation Committees Agenda Packet Cost of Online Education, Appendix A, Appendix B and Meeting Notes
- March 16, 2016 - Implementation Committee. 9:00 a.m. - noon. University of West Florida. University Conference Center, Room 265. Agenda , Supporting materials and Meeting Notes
- December 16, 2015 - Joint meeting of the Steering and Implementation Committees Agenda Packet and Meeting Notes
Task Force on Strategic Planning for Online Education's final papers submitted by its three workgroups: